What is Mookaite?Mookaite (sometimes spelled Mookite, or just called Mook Jasper) is a colorful Jasper from Western Australia. It is a warm flood of reds, yellows and browns. It is formed as a sediment in erosion zones and as a filler in cracks. In Australia, Mookaite is considered to be a healing stone that bestows strength. It is said to shield the wearer from difficult situations and to connect us to loved ones who have passed away. Mookaite is named for where is was first found — in outcrops, principally on Mooka Station (a sheep farm of around 700,000 acres), on the west side of the Kennedy Range in Western Australia. According to locals, the Aboriginal word “mooka” means “running waters”, no doubt in reference to the many fresh water springs that feed Mooka Creek.
The Metaphysical Powers of Mookaite:Mookaite is a stone of the “here and now.” It can help one balance the internal and external and acceptance of change. It helps with living meditation, where one makes a meditation of any act one does. Mookaite is a very protective stone, and is particularly good as an emotional protector. In the physical realm it stabilizes health and fortifies the immune system. Mookaite is associated with the lower chakras.
- Color: Variegated red, maroon, purple, white, cream, yellow, and brown.
- Hardness: 5 – 7
- Optical Properties: Semitranslucent to opaque.
- Luster: Dull to vitreous
- Cleavage: None. Conchoidal fracture.
- Crystal Properties: None.
- Specific Gravity: Variable
- Mineral / Rock Type: A silicified radiolarite siltstone.
- Healing Properties: None scientifically proven.
- Other Properties: Spectacular and bold color patterns!